[emacs-wiki-discuss] Keeping tasks unique...

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Keeping tasks unique...
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:55:19 -0800

Hello Sacha,

I am having a heck of a time keeping my task list straight.  Either I
miss a day of M-x plan and the tasks do not get carried forward from
two days before (this happens all the time on the weekend).

Or emacs dies for some reason and I run M-x plan a second time and
get the same tasks written out twice.

I think what has happened here is I have saved today's file
(2003.03.17) because I was typing in it.  But I have *not* saved
yesterdays file (2003.03.16).  If emacs crashes, I do not get prompted
to save yesterday's file and so the tasks are still there and
dutifully get carried forward.

So, two suggestions - first, can the task manipulation save the files
it manipulates?  I sometimes just M-x plan and edit that file,
marking off some tasks that I have accomplished.  This modifies the
tasks in the planner page the tasks are associated with, but does not
save the new state of those pages.  If emacs ends gracefully, I often
have 10 prompts to save planner pages.  If it dies, the tasks get
left in some mess, marked as completed on the daily page, but not
completed on the planner page.

Second, can tasks be kept in a separate data base so that they are
not susceptible to weird corruption?   i.e. ActiveTasks

#A0 _ Make IWEX routines other dirs {{Tasks:84}} (HomeLog) (2004.03.18)

When task manipulation takes place this task is changed in both
HomeLog and 2004.03.18.  When M-x plan is run, it is copied into the
daily page if the data is 2004.03.18 or greater.  You could even
leave the task on 2004.03.17 rather than moving it forward.

These are just some suggestions.  This isn't the end of the world,
but it gets a little old having to edit the task list all the time
because emacs has crashed.

Thanks,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/