[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: can you help me with some formatting issues

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: can you help me with some formatting issues
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:19:00 +0800

[[Foo_Bar]] links properly. So does [[mailto:address@hidden

>        http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~jcorneli/y/FLE3.html
>        http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~jcorneli/y/FLE3.txt
> I think it would be nice if `mailto:' (as in your second example)
> automatically rewrote the link lable as I have it by hand above.
> This might just be personal preference.

I think that would be a good idea. Implemented. This takes effect only
on publish. It doesn't change the way it's font-locked so that you can
still easily edit the link.

> Well, it is tedious to have to write many variations on
>  [[Web_Authoring][Web Authoring]]
>
> in one page.  I think I was mislead by the line in the documentation
> that reads
>
>  [[link text][optional link description]]

... Preliminary testing seems to indicate that customizing the
following regular expression should just Do The Right Thing.
(Wow.)

(defcustom emacs-wiki-extended-link-regexp
  "\\[\\[\\([^][\t\n]+\\)\\]\\(\\[\\([^][\n]+\\)\\]\\)?\\]"
  "Regexp used to match [[extended][links]]."
  :type 'regexp
  :group 'emacs-wiki)

You'll want to set it to

  "\\[\\[\\([^][ \t\n]+\\)\\]\\(\\[\\([^][\n]+\\)\\]\\)?\\]"

(Just add a space.)

Wow.

No guarantees. Try it at home first. I'm not sure if this should be
the default, but if people like it, then I'll put it in.

>   ;; Version: $Version$
> is not so helpful.  (I think adding a date along with the version
> _number_ would be keen.)

$Version$ is actually sed'd into a timestamp-like thing in the .tar.gz
. (Version: 2004.03.18-19.35) It is also sed'd into a real version in
debs. It only stays $Version$ for the people who get individual files
off my website and people who get it from arch. People who get it from
arch can use tla logs to find out what version they have. People who
get individual files from the site should probably grab the ChangeLog
as well so that they get warned of large changes, etc.

> Not really quite what I had in mind, though of course there's no
> reason it couldn't evolve the way I was thinking.  I guess I was
> hoping for something more like a traditional manual.  A discussion

Whoops. Comments in the first part of planner.el and emacs-wiki.el, I
suppose, and PLANNER-README.

> of how to use httpd-serve (and an up-to-date link) would be
> especially nice. (I'm not saying I necessarily would use
> httpd-serve, but would at least like to take a look at the info page
> and the code.)

My bad. I don't use httpd-serve. You might want to ask johnw (johnw AT
gnu.org).

> Thanks, that is quite good.  But it only seems to work well for
> 2-column tables. (See the links I included above.)

The tables have to have the same number of columns in the same block,
I think.

foo | bar | baz
foo | bar | baz
foo | bar | baz

You might be interested in emacs-wiki-table.el, which will allow you
to draw prettier tables.

> Again, spaces in link names would be pleasant.

Please see if changing emacs-wiki-extended-link-regexp breaks
anything. =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun