RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:48:59 +0000

> Eli said something important, why go somewhere back randomly, but
> better going where user marked it to need it.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Now I get it with single click: S-C-<down> to record point and then
> S-C-<left> and <right> to go to previous or next one.

You are reinventing (part of) what bookmarks do.

If you don't want to have to name bookmarks for this, then you can use
autonamed bookmarks:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#AutonamedBookmarks

(Single key to set, single key to jump to.)

For that you need Bookmark+, but as an alternative you can just define a
bookmark-setting command that provides default names of your own design.

Rolling your own thingies which are essentially just bookmarks (and using a
database to store them, no less) is really not necessary. It may be fun to do,
but Emacs already has what you describe, as bookmarks.