RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:36:01 +0000

> > > But Eli said something important, why go somewhere back randomly, but
> > > better going where user marked it to need it.
> >
> > Because by the time the user knows they need to go back, they might have
> > missed the opportunity to mark the place.
>
> The important question is: which of these two failures could happen
> more frequently?  IME, wading through gobs of places I never wanted to

I agree.

But some people apparently do want zillions of places noted,
"just in case" they want to return to one of them.  That's
why I added an automatic bookmarking mode, which creates
bookmarks periodically, provided the distance from all other
automatic bookmarks is at least at least an option value:

  bmkp-automatic-bookmark-min-distance is a variable defined
  in `bookmark+-1.el'.

  Its value is 1000

  Documentation:
  Minimum number of chars between automatic bookmark positions.

The period is also an option:

  bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode-delay is a variable defined
  in `bookmark+-1.el'.

  Its value is 60

  Documentation:
  Number of seconds delay before automatically setting a bookmark.

I mention this in case it helps someone working on something
similar.  There are many ways to save some position (and other
things - desktops were mentioned).  Bookmarks are one way (and
they have certain advantages).