RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:56:26 +0000

> but
> > >
> > > Because by the time the user knows they need to go back, they might
> have
> > > missed the opportunity to mark the place.
> >
> > The important question is: which of these two failures could happen
> > more frequently?  IME, wading through gobs of places I never wanted to
>
> I agree.
>
> But some people apparently do want zillions of places noted,
> "just in case" they want to return to one of them.  That's
> why I added an automatic bookmarking mode, which creates
> bookmarks periodically, provided the distance from all other
> automatic bookmarks is at least at least an option value...

Somewhat more useful, perhaps, but closely related, there
are two specializations of this feature: one to automatically
bookmark Info nodes you visit, and one to do that for web
pages you visit (with EWW).  For example, for Info:

  bmkp-info-auto-bookmark-mode is an interactive Lisp function in
  'bookmark+-1.el'.

  (bmkp-info-auto-bookmark-mode &optional ARG)

  Toggle automatically setting a bookmark when you visit an Info node.
  The bookmark name is "(MANUAL) `NODE'", where:

   MANUAL is the name of the current manual (the base file name).
   NODE is the name of the current node.

  If option `bmkp-info-auto-type' is `create-or-update' then such a
  bookmark is created for the node if none exists.  If the option value
  is `update-only' then no new bookmark is created automatically, but an
  existing bookmark is updated.  (Updating a bookmark increments the
  recorded number of visits.)  You can toggle the option using
  `M-x bmkp-toggle-info-auto-type'.

And you can sort/access Info bookmarks that you've visited most
or least etc.  This is one of the advantages of bookmarks: they
do things like record the number of visits, time of last visit,
etc.