Re: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:53:31 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2023-02-14 07:58]:
> And you can sort/access Info bookmarks that you've visited most or
> least etc.

That is good feature.

I have made more stronger generalization and defined elementary
objects.

Elementary Objects:
https://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/110/460/#2a1a

One could think of it as bookmarks, but they are not (only). Objects
can be chunks of text, word, paragraph, PDF, PDF by page, Message-ID,
Video, Video at time, anything which is defined by user.

It is true that I can jump to it, I can insert it in text, or make
reports, project documents, convert to hyperlinks and similar.

How is object activated, can be also defined by user. It is not hard
coded. Function can be inserted in the database by administrator.

With only little work I can upgrade it that function can be inserted
for each user differently. Somebody may want to open PDF file with PDF
viewer, somebody may want PDF file moved to server first and then
opened. There are currently no people who would need that remote
collaborative feature.

Similarly like you, I use one global rank, integer that increases when
user reads document, when document is shared, when it is activated,
visited.

It is useful as to quicker find relevant documents.

I search for documents by relevant words and find 17 of them, but the
most relevant appears on top, as it got its rank X, indicating it was
mostly used in past.

> This is one of the advantages of bookmarks: they do things like
> record the number of visits,

Thanks, good idea, that is rank on my side It increases with visit,
edit, etc.

> time of last visit, etc.

When moving between objects, I have "ring" in the database, this makes
it possible to visually reconstruct what was done, visited, by any
single day by which individual collaborative user. That is similar to
"last visit" only related to any kind of object, need not be bookmark.

Is not same as "Emacs Places" where such points are not important to
be recorded by name, even though they have name.

Time of last activation (visit) I keep also in a general log, that can
have more human like titles like "Activated Twids Telecom"

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman