RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 05:21:24 +0000

> > (Single key to set, single key to jump to.)
>
> Which single key?  I have to use complex key
> combinations, or maybe function keys.

Setting an autonamed bookmark:

Command, `bmkp-toggle-autonamed-bookmark-set/delete'
sets or deletes an autonamed bookmark.  It does this:

  If there is an autonamed bookmark at point, delete it, else create one.
  The bookmark created has no region.  Its name is formatted according
  to option `bmkp-autoname-bookmark-function'.

  With a prefix arg, delete *ALL* autonamed bookmarks for this buffer.

Bind it to any key you like.  By default it's `RET' on
the `bookmark-map', which by default is on prefix key
`C-x x' -- so `C-x x RET'.

By default it's also `RET' on `bmkp-set-map', which by
default is on prefix key `C-x x c' (all commands that
set bookmarks are on this keymap).

Jumping to an autonamed bookmark:

Command `bmkp-autonamed-jump' jumps to an autonamed
bookmark.  By default it's `#' on `bmkp-jump-map',
which by default is on prefix key `C-x j'.

There's also `bmkp-this-buffer-jump' which jumps to
an autonamed bookmark in the current buffer.  By
default it's `C-x j , #'.

The jump commands prompt for an autonamed bookmark,
so they're not single-key in the same way that the
set/delete command is.  You generally don't want to
bind a key to just jump to a single bookmark (but
you can, of course).  Instead, you want to have a
key that jumps only to a bookmark of a given type
(in addition to a key that jumps to a bookmark of
any type).

_______

FYI, this is the automatic bookmarking doc string:

bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode is an interactive Lisp function in
‘bookmark+-1.el’.

It is bound to menu-bar file bookmark options
bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode.

(bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode &optional ARG)

Toggle automatic setting of a bookmark when Emacs is idle.
Non-interactively, turn automatic bookmarking on for the current
buffer if and only if ARG is positive.

To enable or disable automatic bookmarking in all buffers, use
`bmkp-global-automatic-bookmark-mode'.

When the mode is enabled in the current buffer, a bookmark is
automatically set every `bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode-delay' seconds,
using the setting function that is the value of option
`bmkp-automatic-bookmark-set-function'.  Note that a buffer must be
current (selected) for an automatic bookmark to be created there - it
is not enough that the mode be enabled in the buffer.

Turning the mode on and off runs hooks
`bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode-on-hook' and
`bmkp-automatic-bookmark-mode-off-hook', respectively.

If you want the automatic bookmarks to be temporary (not saved to your
bookmark file), then customize option
`bmkp-autotemp-bookmark-predicates' so that it includes the kind of
bookmarks that are set by `bmkp-automatic-bookmark-set-function'.
For example, if automatic bookmarking sets autonamed bookmarks, then
`bmkp-autotemp-bookmark-predicates' should include
`bmkp-autonamed-bookmark-p' or
`bmkp-autonamed-this-buffer-bookmark-p'.

If you want the automatically created bookmarks to be highlighted,
then customize option `bmkp-auto-light-when-set' to highlight
bookmarks of the appropriate kind.  For example, to highlight
autonamed bookmarks set it to `autonamed-bookmark'.