Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:49:46 -0500

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> Some IDEs and text editors provide a feature to go to the position of
> the last edit location across all buffers.  For example, in Eclipse or
> IntelliJ IDEA, this feature is under Navigate, Last Edit Location.  In
> Vim, this feature is called a "change list jump" [1], but it seems to
> work in a per-buffer basis.
>
> The closest thing in Emacs is pop-global-mark, but it's not quite the
> same feature. The global mark ring requires that the user sets the mark
> in advance, and most editing commands do not set the mark.  Information
> about last edit locations is already kept in buffer-undo-list, but this
> list is per-buffer and does not contain timestamps, so generating a
> "global" list for all buffers out of this data structure does not seem
> very possible or efficient at the moment; it may need a new data
> structure, perhaps at the C level.

I often want to jump to the last change I made in a buffer, but I've
never wanted this across buffers.  The method I use for this, burned
into my fingertips, is "C-_ C-SPC C-_", which is undo, set mark, undo.
The set-mark causes the second undo to redo and could be replaced by a
cursor movement instead, if one didn't want to mess up the mark
location.

So, although, once again, this doesn't work across buffers, using the
undo list might be helpful for coding such a feature.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)