Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial

From: Larry Denenberg
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:12:21 +0300

>As Handa-san pointed out, cursor position is before the _next_
>character _in_the_logical_order_.

Could you clarify this a little for us relative newcomers?

Suppose I type אבגדה in a RTL context and then C-b twice.  Point is now
between ג and ד, but the visible cursor is between ד and ה.  Presumably
this is because the cursor is positioned before the ד, as you say, where
"before" means "to the left of" rather than "preceding, according to the
current direction".  This may be consistent, but from the user's point
of view it seems terribly confusing.  So I've been wondering if this is
a known issue or the intended behavior.

Here's another newbie question that's perhaps Aquamacs-specific:  Mouse
clicks seem to be interpreted with respect to a logical, rather than
rendered, version of the buffer.  If I type a line of RTL text and then
click near the beginning of the line (i.e., on the right side of the
display), the cursor gets positioned on the left side of the display,
presumably as close to the end of the line as my click was from the
beginning of the line.  Again, if this is intended it's not clear why,
but perhaps it's a known deficiency or perhaps I'm doing somthing wrong.

/Larry Denenberg
address@hidden
http://larry.denenberg.com/