Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:57:22 +0300

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 21:15:41 +0300
> From: Yair F <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden

> >> I tried that, but the results look ugly, at least on MS-Windows: the
> >> Maqaf is composed with the preceding character and almost entirely
> >> blends with it as result of this composition.  Is this something
> >> specific to the Windows Uniscribe engine?  Is this an Emacs bug?
> >
> > It's an Emacs bug.  I've just committed a fix.
> >

> Thank you, it is working correctly now.

For me as well.  I now replaced some of the hyphens with a Maqaf.

> Also, when trying to replace the dash character with Maqaf using
> M-% in the toutorial, the cursor (notifying point) is not always
> positioned in the correct place, the replacement is correctly
> highlighted using font-lock.

This is normal.  As Handa-san pointed out, cursor position is before
the _next_ character _in_the_logical_order_.  It could be a bit
confusing when the search string ends between level runs, but the same
is true for cursor position outside I-search as well.  So if we want
to fix that in some way, we need to fix it in general cursor
positioning, not in I-search.