Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Hebrew tutorial
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 12:57:25 +0300

> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 01:04:05 +0300
> From: Yair F <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> 3. Please use the Hebrew Maqaf instead of hyphen.

I tried that, but the results look ugly, at least on MS-Windows: the
Maqaf is composed with the preceding character and almost entirely
blends with it as result of this composition.  Is this something
specific to the Windows Uniscribe engine?  Is this an Emacs bug?

Anyway, until this is fixed, if possible, I don't think we should use
Maqaf in the tutorial.

> 4. Please try to avoid the acronyms instead of  ש-ע"ג (why the
> hyphen?) write שעל גבי.

I removed all of the acronyms, with the single exception of ע"י, which
I think is very common in modern Hebrew texts.

Thanks again for your comments.