Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:58:47 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> How does quail use the information about the layout of the keyboard?
> All I see in the definition of the input method is a list of
> characters and their translations.  Why should it matter which
> keyboard key produced a character?

Because, for an input method simulating some localized
keyboard, the location of a key is important.  For instance,
a user of thai-kesmanee input method expects that he can
input "ด" by pressing a key under his left index finger
while keeping his hands at the normal position on a
keyboard, no matter what key-symbol is printed on that key
('F' in qwerty keyboard, 'U' in dvorak keyboard).

> Assuming that the key that produces `a' in English should
> always produce SHIN in Hebrew, why should it matter what
> is the number of that key on the keyboard and what is its
> location?

Currently hebrew input method is defined as below:

(quail-define-package
 "hebrew" "Hebrew" "ע" nil "Hebrew (ISO 8859-8) input method.

Based on Hebrew typewriter keys.
Hebrew letters are assigned to lowercases.
" nil t t t t nil nil nil nil nil t)
            ^-->KBD-TRANSLATE

It is defined with KBD-TRANSLATE arg t.

KBD-TRANSLATE non-nil means input characters are translated from a
user's keyboard layout to the standard keyboard layout.  See the
documentation of `quail-keyboard-layout' and
`quail-keyboard-layout-standard' for more detail.

If your assumption above is true, i.e. the key location is
not important for hebrew input method, it should be defined
with KBD-TRANSLATE nil.

As I have no knowleget about hebrew input method, I don't
know which is correct; it is simulating a localized keyboard
layout or not.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden