Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Yair F
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:28:24 +0300

I am sorry I missed this conversation.
Maybe I am confused, but it seems to me that there are two issues here
that are linked but separated.

Currently there are two ways to input a language into emacs: The first
is "Native" in which the underlying Window system/Terminal is
responsible for emittting codes from the keyboard combinations and
other means. These input methods are shared among all applications
running on the computer.

The second way is unique to Emacs and is using the leim/quail
environment. This would probably be used on system where native IM are
not available, or don't supply all necessary input e.g. Hebrew
cantillation marks.

As far as I understand leim/quail are considered optional parts of
Emacs and it is possible to build Emacs without them.
If any of you have comments on the usage of any of the input methods I
created, please let me know and I'll try to improve them. It would
help me a lot if the message's subject will state that clearly.

The second issue is how Emacs behaves when Native input methods are
handeled on Emacs.
Modifier keys were long ago a mark of Emacs
(Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Super). and are essential to the use of it.

When native IM is enabled Emacs interprets the modifier as modifying
the IM character and not the underlying key. Thus we get C-ב, A-ב and
s-ב, however not S-ב.
This is most uncomfortable as one cannot expect Emacs user to rebind
all they keyboard again.
This problem is not bidi-related, or Hebrew specific. I've seen that
on Russian keyboard layout as well. It is not Windows-System specific
as MS Windows also show this problem.
Once bidi would be available to the public, this would be rather acute problem.