Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:25:01 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:02:30 +0900
>
> > I don't think so.  I think the Emacs translates a character regardless
> > of which key produced it.  Take a look at leim/quail/hebrew.el: all it
> > tells Emacs is the characters to translate.  There's no information
> > there regarding the layout of the keyboard.
>
> Sure.  All input methods should be written assuming
> `quail-keyboard-layout-standard'.   Have you seen the help
> of `hebrew' input method?  It says:

> This input method works by translating individual input characters.
> Assuming that your actual keyboard has the `standard' layout,
> translation results in the following "virtual" keyboard layout:

How does quail use the information about the layout of the keyboard?
All I see in the definition of the input method is a list of
characters and their translations.  Why should it matter which
keyboard key produced a character?  Assuming that the key that
produces `a' in English should always produce SHIN in Hebrew, why
should it matter what is the number of that key on the keyboard and
what is its location?