Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:44 +0300

> Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:39:12 +0300
> From: Amit Ramon <address@hidden>
>
> >I disagree that this is "quite properly".  When I do the same on
> >MS-Windows, keys modified by Ctrl, Shift, and Alt are not translated.
> >That is, Emacs still sees C-b, not some control-modified Hebrew
> >character.
> >
> >Perhaps you could fix your problem on the Mac level.
>
> Eli, do you mean that when you switch Windows to Hebrew, the control
> key are not translated?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

> Then what happen when you are in Windows
> Hebrew mode and you want to press 'control-x s' (save some files)? The
> Hebrew keys will be 'control-samekh dalet'. Suppose Windows knows not
> to transmit control-x for the control-samekh, but how will it handle
> the dalet - it has no idea that it is part of the command?

That's right, "C-x s" produces "C-x dalet".  But the original gripe
was regarding Ctrl- and Alt-modified characters, and these do work on
Windows as I'd expect.

Could you and Larry please look for an option of the X keyboard driver
to leave the Ctrl- and Alt-modified keys untranslated?  This would
eliminate at least some of the issue.  At least with commands like
incremental search, it would be very inconvenient to have to switch
the language between C-s and the string, especially since switching
the language could produce an input event on some platforms, which
will exit the I-search.