Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:19:13 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> This assumes that the location of Hebrew letters on the Dvorak
> keyboard is exactly the same as on the standard keyboard.

Yes.  And the current definition of "Hebrew" input method
assumes it by having KBD-TRANSLATE argument t.

> But that
> assumption is not necessarily true.  There's no "standard" for Hebrew
> Dvorak keyboard.  At least this page:

> http://ramalokehrota.blogspot.com/2007/04/russian-and-hebrew-dvorak-for-x11.html

> advertises a Dvorak-based layout which moves the Hebrew letters
> together with the English ones.  E.g., SHIN is still on the same key
> as A, LAMED is on K, etc.  For this layout, I understand that the
> Hebrew input method that comes with Emacs out of the box will work
> without any changes.

Dvorak keyboard layout was invented for more rapid/efficient
English typing than qwerty keyboard.  So, if there's "Hebrew
Dvorak" keyboard, it should also be designed by considering
rapid/efficient typing in the same way as English Dvorak
keyboard (i.e. the most frequently used keys are aligned at
the middle line, etc).  Otherwize, what's the merit of
having another layout for Hebrew?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden