Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:59:35 +0300

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:44:36 +0300
> From: Amit Ramon <address@hidden>
> Cc: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> I agree - but this is exactly the problem! Lets try an example,
> perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Assume you are typing in Hebrew. When
> you want to produce the letter ALEF, you press the keyboard key that
> is right under the 5-key, and on a standard (QWERTY) keyboard is used
> to produce the letter t. If you look at hebrew.el you'll see that
> indeed t is mapped to ALEF. The mapping is based on the character, not
> on the location of the key that produces it - exactly as you said.
>
> Now assume that your basic keyboard layout is DVORAK (this is, for
> example, what I use). If you're using the same hebrew.el, t is still
> mapped to ALEF - but the key that produces t is not under the 5-key
> anymore. It is the key that on a QWERTY keyboard is marked k.

I'm saying that Emacs doesn't know the number of the key (5 in your
example) that produces t.  All it knows is that the character t was
sent by the keyboard.  Which key number produced it is never
considered.

As long as the Dvorak keyboard produces the character t, it will be
mapped to ALEF.

Now, if you are saying that the key marked with ALEF on the Dvorak
keyboard is not the same key that is marked with t, then I understand
why it doesn't work for you.  Is this what you are saying?