Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Amit Ramon
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:17:29 +0300

Hi Scot,

I was too hastened to say it is working well - I still have a
problem. But after understanding the problem I would more precisely
say that the Hebrew input method is actually working as it should, but
it is not doing what I need it to do :)

The point is that, AFAIK, Emacs input method is simply a translation
from one character to another. So, for example, when Emacs receives a 'x'
character it is translated to Hebrew Samekh. However, the location of the
button that sends 'x' depends on the keyboard layout, so the location
of the key that will send Hebrew Samekh also depend on the layout.

The current Hebrew input method functions assumes a QWERTY
layout. When using DVORAK layout the Hebrew keys shuffles all over the
keyboard... So the key that sends Hebrew Samekh is now located where
the 'x' is located in a DVORAK layout, but this is not where one would
expect it to be.

I think that the solution is to write a specific input method
that assumes a DVORAK layout - it is quiet simple, but isn't there a more
elegant method for that?

Best,

Amit

p.s. BTW, there art 2 lines in hebrew.el that cause Emacs to
complain. They are:
("q=" ?$(address@hidden(B)  ; Bullet
("`G" ?$(address@hidden(B)  ; Bullet

Scot Becker <address@hidden> [2010-06-25 07:01 +0100]:

Amit,

Glad you've got it mostly working.

I'm not sure I grasp your situation entirely, and don't myself understand
exactly how the Emacs input methods work, but I'll hazard a guess, which you
probably already have guessed as well, that the Emacs hebrew-lyx input
method you are using defines some keys and lets the rest pass through to
your operating system's normal keystroke handler, which is in your case is
set to English Dvorak.  If that fits with what you see you might be able to
extend the input method you are using to do what you want.  The file is
pretty easy to read.  You might also try the hebrew-lyx input method with
your OS's keyboard set to a different setting (USA/UK), but if you change
back and forth a lot you probably won't want to change both the Emacs input
method and the OS 'keyboard'.

Best,

Scot