Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:15:03 +0300

> From: Scot Becker <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 07:23:34 +0100
>
> OK, Emacs compiled and bidi working. Very cool.

Thanks for testing.

> A few questions:
>
> Should I expect yanking a bit of unicode bidi Hebrew text with niqqud,
> copied to the system clipboard from a browser, and yanked into a bidi
> buffer, to work (it doesn't. vowels don't sit under their letters)?

No, this doesn't work yet.  There are two problems:

 . Displaying vowels under (or above, as the case may be) the letters
   is supposed to be done via the "character composition" feature of
   Emacs, whereby several distinct characters are drawn as a single
   glyph.  However, character composition doesn't yet work with
   bidi-reordered text.  Kenichi Handa, who implemented character
   composition in Emacs, is now working on making that compatible with
   bidi reordering, so I hope this will soon work.

 . The necessary tables for composing niqqud with letters are not yet
   set up in Emacs out of the box.  So display of niqqud does not work
   even without bidi reordering.  Yair is working on that, and he
   already posted the initial variant of the necessary settings on
   emacs-devel a day or two ago.

When both these problems are resolved, you will be able to see niqqud
displayed correctly.

> You say in your above email that
>
> >Character composition does not yet work with bidi reordering, so
> >currently cantillation marks will not be displayed as you'd expect.
>
> which I took to mean that niqqud alone are already working.

See above: not yet.  I used "cantillation marks" meaning the superset
of niqqud, to include dagesh and other marks.