Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 17:32:40 +0300

> Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 17:05:47 +0300
> From: Yair F <address@hidden>
>
> > Another issue regarding emacslayout.png is whether we indeed want to
> > take the shifted keys, rather than leave them alone to insert
> > capitalized Latin letters, like in most modern Hebrew keyboards.
>
> This is the most odd decision of SI - looks like a leftover from 7-bit
> Hebrew. I don't see any normal use for all-caps. If one needs a Latin
> character then a latin layout should be used.

Well, in almost every other application I use, the Latin caps are
preserved.  For example, the native Hebrew keyboard in MS-Windows does
that.

I didn't mean to say that Latin should be typed in all caps, but it's
not uncommon to use that while typing mostly Hebrew text, for all
kinds of Latin acronyms.

Perhaps we should simply keep the current Hebrew input method
(leim/hebrew.el), which does leave caps alone, in addition to what you
are working on.

> Does emacs-devel relpace emacs-bidi now?

No.  But since the bidi code is already merged with mainline, and is
thus no longer an obscure branch that no one uses, I think important
discussions should be at least cross-posted there, so that the head
maintainers and other interested contributors could chime in.