Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 12:51:15 +0300

> Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 00:23:34 +0300
> From: Yair F <address@hidden>
>
> I intend to do some work related to composition of vowel and
> cantillation marks..
> To test the composition code a way to add these marks is needed. As
> the OS does not support adding these an input method is in place.
>
> There are 4 input methods I intend to add to Emacs

Thanks.  I think it's a Good Thing to be compatible with existing
input methods.

Regarding the Emacs-specific input method (emacslayout.png), could you
tell what was the rule for determining the placement of cantillation
marks?   It is at least different from Biblical-Tiro.  If the
placement is more or less arbitrary, perhaps we should try something
that is easier to remember, like put ַ on S-a, ֶ on S-e, etc.

Another issue regarding emacslayout.png is whether we indeed want to
take the shifted keys, rather than leave them alone to insert
capitalized Latin letters, like in most modern Hebrew keyboards.  I'd
expect most users to have little or no need for cantillation marks;
forcing them to type C-\ to switch input methods every time they need
an upper-case Latin letter would be a nuisance.  If no better modifier
can be found (how about Hyper or Super?), then perhaps we should have
2 different input methods: one which has cantillation marks on shifted
keys, and one that doesn't.

Finally, it might be a good idea to post to address@hidden as
well as here, it could be that some people who might have useful
inputs do not read this list.

Thanks.