Re: [emacs-bidi] mirroring of glyphs

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] mirroring of glyphs
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:16:15 +0200

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the real solution is to work in some way like the good old
> Einstein Writer (always a good reference).

Einstein, I still have it on one of my 5ΒΌ" diskettes....ooops.

>  When there is some phrase
> that the UAX#9 is just doing mishmash of it (like mathematical
> expression [see the difference between 1-5 1/5 1*5] or physical
> constants like -5.0 C enclosed by Hebrew text)

This is because date and phone expressions use them (dash and slash),
and they are more common than math expressions.  I think this was a good
decision.

I think one intuitive way might be to supply the user a "change cursor
direction" command and inserting LRM/RLM when this is done.  At a later
stage (cursor movement, end of paragraph) we might want to remove
redundant formatting character from the buffer.