Re: [emacs-bidi] mirroring of glyphs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] mirroring of glyphs
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:15:33 +0200

> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:55:26 +0200
>
> But sometime the user does want the text to look like the output of the
> UAX#9 consider:
>  "START DATE: 01-JAN-2000." which is displayed as
> ".2000-NAJ-01 :ETAD TRATS"

Really?  What implementation produces that?  Is that again the
reference implementation, where `-' has a bidi type that is different
from what UAX#9 says?

> > I think the only way to work reasonably well in such cases is to look
> > at preceding and following characters, and implement some of Ehud's
> > wisdom to fix UAX#9 lossage.
>
> The following characters might not exist (yet), and generally inserting
> bidi characters beyond the users back is a risky business.

I agree that we should minimize the insertion of formatting codes,
but there are a few specific cases where UAX#9 does nonsensical
things, which users won't forgive us.