Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:55:27 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, users usually don't see the logical representation, so
>> humans won't even be in the position to judge wether a representation
>> is reasonable.
>
> I think you are wrong.  I have no problem determining that, in the
> specific case of converting "<123H/>shalom<123H>" from visual to logical,
> "<Hshalom<123</H123>" is not a reasonable result, simply because it
> doesn't look like anything a human would type for that kind of output.

Yes, but I said that you will not be in a position to judge wether it
is reasonable or not because you will be seeing the visual
representation instead of the logical one.

> In the case of automated conversion from the visual to logical order, the
> above is not possible, since a program doesn't know what humans do.  But
> we should still try to tweak the mechanistic application of rules so as
> to produce a ``reasonable'' conversion, where ``reasonable'' means
> something that could have been typed in similar situations.  Since we,
> the humans, are the judge of ``reasonable'', such tuning of the algorithm
> is possible.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying: Do you think that it is
possible for bidi-visual-to-logical to do the right thing?

Note that this implies understanding the difference between
"my BMW230" and "my 230BMW" and understanding the difference between
"my 123 CARS" and "my CARS 123".  I think that means that Emacs should
be able to understand the difference between BWM and CARS.  I don't
think we will be able to do this.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/