Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:10:42 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> But if you want to do it differently, please go ahead.  What I didn't
> quite like in your original suggestion was the need to edit in a separate
> buffer/window.  I would like to have a way to insert characters visually
> without switching buffers or windows (as far as the user is concerned;
> behind the scenes, you can switch buffers as you wish, of course).  Such
> an insertion would be slow, but if it isn't too slow, I think it's a more
> pleasant way of input.

Hm, yes, I was thinking in terms of typing commit messages for VC, or
editing Gnus Parameters, etc.  I never found those to be inconvenient.
The problem with the one-character proposal is that is not easy to
test -- the display engine isn't there yet.

I'd like to have a good test case first.  Do you have one?

I thought it trough with "my CAR123" but didn't see the problem.
(Except for the known problem of what to consider to be "reasonable",
hehe.)

Here's a little textual description of what we would like to see.
Assume the following visual presentation, with point shown as !:

my CAR123! is cheap

And here's the logical representation, with point is therefore at
either of the two positions shown as !:

my 123!RAC! is cheap

It doesn't matter where point is, however.  If point was between 3 and
R, no action is needed, because the buffer now contains:

my 1234!RAC is cheap

If point was between 3 and SPC, then the buffer now contains:

my 123RAC4! is cheap

No action is needed because it still transforms into the required
visual representation.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/