Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:07:11 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> Maybe something along these lines -- how will buffers be searched?

In general, as they are now: since the buffers are in logical order, and
you type the search string in the logical order as well, the search
engine generally works the same as it does now.

> I'm talking about isearch, occur, re-search-forward, etc.  It seems
> that you can get the same visual output on the minibuffer (or in your
> string in elisp) as in the window, and still the characters in the
> minibuffer and the buffer will not be in the same logical order.

The issue of whether you should find a string that looks the same, but is
not identical in the buffer's logical-order storage has been beaten to
death.  I think the conclusion is that it's like case-insensitive search:
in most cases, the users want to ignore such differences, but sometimes
they want them to be significant.

So we will need to have equivalence classes, and search and other similar
features will need to take them into consideration.  Since the current
search code already handles letter-case, in principle the code to do that
is in place.