Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:54:53 +0530

Hi,
> phpGroupware is a not one big program. It is the API and setup program
> along with a collection of applications/modules that all use the API.
> The weather program is just an optional component as are every other
> program. Its is possible to simply take the phpgwAPI and and the
> calendar app if you wanted. So you are right, there is no real reason
> savannah would bother installing the weather application/add-on.
        It seems I was off track in ideas. I thought that Loic was going
to modify the Savannah to support phpGW. Savannah Mark "II" would be
better. Also from what I've seen of phpGW , it has a lot of apps on it.
I have tried a bit of PHP with phplib, phpGW is more service oriented.

I have been experimenting with phpGW a bit and found a funny fact,
it fails when you try to run it with PHP4. I don't know why but my
Redhat 7.2 failed to run it. But good old Debian (PHP3) runs it fine.
GPL incompatibilty ? ;-).
> > So rather than hacking phpGW into a Savannah clone, we
> > should plan things so that when you visit your profile @ Savannah,
> > It retrieves the data/VCard using XMLRPC from your phpGW profile.
> > And conversely, let you see mentions/comments of your latest project
> > @Savannah in your online resume @ phpGW. [ Sorry if this seems redundant ]
        I am prepared to eat my words. chomp chomp chomp...
> The current plans are not so much to use phpGW as a groupware system.
> The key thing that savannah wants is to use our API. Our API (called the
> phpgwAPI) is extremely modular. Each of the services provided by the api
> are abstacted to allow the data store to be changed out without
> effecting any other parts. Some of the services the api provides are:
> database abstraction (mysql, pgsql, oracle and mssql), account services
> (sql and ldap),
        I agree that all the classes in the phpgwAPI is great. They solve
almost all the problems I have faced with supporting multiple backend/
front end combos.
> One of the tools for instance is the bug/feature tracking tools on
> sourceforge called the tracker.
        Bug/Feature tracking ? :-).

        The feature I like most for phpGW was their radical themeing
support. But I wish someone would make a theme with a couple of
levitating GNUs and GNOME style icons. It is time Savannah dropped
that sourceforge look.
> The will be able to load up their Klyix client and click "login"
> and get to work on the bugs.
> This is only an example, but it demonstrates that phpGW is already a
> working web service and why Loic wants to use phpGW as the foundation
> for his next generation savannah.
        To quote a previous posting "if a browser's all you got, everything
looks like a webpage". A definite change from this dim view of webservices.
> But our authentication system is super simple and should work with any
> DotGNU solutions.
As Einstein has famously said ``Keep it as simple as possible but no simpler''.

        Being a dreamer of sorts , I have a few ideas worth discussing. Will
post after weeding out the irrelevant.

G'Bye
        Gopal
--
"If you don't succeed at first you *MUST* be a programmer"
                                                  -- Anon