Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)

From: Mario D. Santana
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:11:38 -0800

"Gopal.V" wrote:

> I looked up Macs a bit, it divides the authentication into watertight
> compartments. I think someone will need to make the phpGW authentication/
> authorization using pluggable modules. ie just as database calls are abstract
> in the current phpGW. This will make sure that it can act as AUC,LMC,UPC and
> ATC ( refer Macs ).

macs was designed to be easily plugged into. The whole point of the
exercise is to allow different authen/author/profile systems to work with
each other, so writing auc, lmc, upc and atc modules is a snap. macs even
has an xml-rpc front-end, so it could be even easier for phpGW than most.

Being the type to put my money (foot?) where my mouth is, I'll be happy
to contribute these modules once macs is in good working order. One of my
goals is to have as many apps plugged into macs as feasible -- these
modules will fit nicely into that. I'm just finishing up some other
commitments in the next week or so, then I'll get cracking again.

> I have no doubt that Savannah will adopt such a brilliant
> Single Login scheme. As far as I have seen, this is far better than
> Hailstorm.

Thanks! =)

> If both of them can act as the Macs client modules, we have a single login
> for phpGW and Savannah, provided they have the same AUS etc. ( I am still
> unclear about this, does Macs authorization dissapear when you switch AUSes )

Not in the current design. I've been thinking about it, though. The
session tokens handed out by the AUS really should point back to their
AUS of origin. Then AUSes can cross-authenticate each others' sessions.

Cheers!

mds