Re: phpGW and DotGNU: (was: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting)

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: phpGW and DotGNU: (was: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:09:21 +0530

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 07:32:30AM -0800, Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:
> Its probably less likely that it will be GPL'd, but from all accounts it
> should be switching to a BSD style license, which should be ok because
> at least we will have a clear ability to fork the code if nessesary.

        BSD license is good enough for me, we can even GPL our fork ;-)

> Yes, PHP is pretty great for generating html or xml files. Thats really
> what its designed to do. Our xmlrpc interface *does* work and we already
> have a limited client written in Klyix that is a very nice proof of
> concept, as well as a good test bed.

        This *is* great news Dan, what we now need is a solid platform to test
out our _theories_ about webservices.

> I still think things like XForms will be important... and I wouldnt want
> to tie DotGNU into any languages.

        Until XForms is supported fully, we have no option but to look at
practical
alternatives. We should consider the fact that people who are working on this
cannot download mozilla each week to keep updated. Glade, Python , Php etc are
available in each and every desktop distribution.

> Yes, this would certainly work. The fact that this plan is tied to
> having to use Glade would probably be an isue... but its certainly one
> of the options.

        The issue is not of much concern as this app will get eventually dumped
as
dotGNU takes off fully. This was just an example of how XMLRPC could be used
to benifit the end user, by glueing together a PHP script and a Python program
using XMLRPC.
> the "Free Groupware Standards". I think that my overlap with DotGNU is
> massive and I want to work closer with you guys.

        A standardisation has been the hardest part of software development,
more so in a democratic setup like dotGNU ( where even I get to say my 2 bits ).
I am sure that dotGNU is all about choosing the right standards. If one of
the projects develops a good standard, it is natural for the others to follow
or support it.
> It should be possible to have all 3 of these services running on
> different hosts and with different software, as long as they all follow
> some standards things should jive very well.

        It is imperative that it should be possible, because the above words
encompass the whole idea behind webservices.

Gopal.V
--
Happy Deepavali.
    /^\