Re: IndieTech went well!!

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: IndieTech went well!!
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 20:12:36 +0100

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

​( Removed previous message content for brevity )​

Well, then *open* is not the right wording...
What I mean is that I can't find enough definitve information on the web to evaluate if they really do something differently or what really is planned. So far I see a lot of overlap with the OpenMoko/OpenPhoenux communities.

​Perhaps this is a failure in communication on my side because, as I thought I had very clearly said before, the effort is just starting out and little is set in stone on the technical side of things. Expecting explicit information about what is planned while something is BEING planned is a little bit premature.  That was my point. :)

And from the claim that indiephone *does* things differently than everyone before, I conclude/assume/hope that they must have a quite specific plan and a solution to those issues why OpenPhoenux doesn't "rule the free world" yet. One is obvoius (almost the same as for GNUstep vs. Cocoa): behind indiephone are people doing better marketing and visual design.

​I think the aim here is to learn as much as possible and to build on what has already been done.  Current efforts don't have the same emphasis on being design-led as indiephone does and I believe that's an important difference.
  IndiePhone is trying to fix the issue of privacy on mobile devices.
In general the Openmoko and OpenPhoenux communities tried and still try to solve the same issues, but we learned that it is such a huge problem to make everything right from the beginning that one problem must be solved after the other. This might make it look as if there is not the same goal.

​I'm sure that we can learn a lot from the efforts of both of these communities.​
I think there is always the other way round: participate and bring forward communities that already exist :) I already have invited Aral to the OpenPhoenux.org community. And I would be happy to learn a lot from the indiephone initiative. That is why I ask so curiously as you have just met this team face to face (Aral asked me to come but it was much too short notice to even find a substitute).

​I've been speaking with them for about 4-5 months prior to meeting them.  The reason I met them now is because they scheduled this conference for July 4th.  They did this on purpose since it's 'independence day' in the US and they wanted that to be sort of symbolic.

I wish you had come, to be honest, since I mentioned your work and because I think it would have been a very powerful indicator of the fact that a lot of the work has already been done on some fronts.  Would it be possible to pull you into some of the discussions so we can help both IndiePhone and the existing projects as well?

But IMHO this is a discussion going far beyond "discuss-GNUstep" and should be continued elsewhere.

​Perhaps it does belong in another forum.  There is a discussion/forum site being set up for precisely this kind of thing.  Once I know what it is I will post the link here so we can continue the discussion there.​

I will be looking at the optimizations that exist in QuantumStep for guidance as I move forward on this project.

Ah, did they invite you to work for indiephone?

​Yes.

Fine!

BR,
Nikolaus