Re: Customizable filesystem support for GNUstep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Customizable filesystem support for GNUstep
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:42:36 +0000

On 21 Feb 2007, at 13:11, Sergii Stoian wrote:

Hi, Jeff.

According to the doc (OpenStep UIG) directory is called /Net. It's not prefix.
It can't be prefix because it's "mount point" for network resources.

Actually I have some thoughts about 'next' layout:

1. change GNUSTEP_*_LIBRARIES from /GNUDeveloper/Libraries to
/GNULibrary/Libraries besause libraries is used primarily for normal
applications and tools run.

Apple puts Frameworks inside Library, and iirc the logic of putting Libraries inside Library was partly to be consistent with Apple, and partly to avoid another top-level directory cluttering things up for users. I think both those rationales still apply.

2. Change GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG_FILE to Library/Preferences/ GNUstep.conf.

I have no particular objection (ie it looks a logical place to me) other than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Why don't we have a voting system for these cases where there is no real technical issue, just a case of what people prefer?