Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Split-function implementation of 802.11g OFDM PHY

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Split-function implementation of 802.11g OFDM PHY and MAC on USRP2
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:26:23 -0400

On 08/30/2011 07:19 PM, Nemanja Trecakov wrote:

Marcus, you were right - I did install the Xilinx ISE being root. However, when I tried to run the same command being root, the bash did not find the xtclsh.
The next thing I did is to include the xtclsh into the PATH in .bashrc, but for root this time, and tried to build it as root. And ... VOILA!

Doing anything other than *what is absolutely necessary* as *root* is a bad idea.  Poor form.  Entirely-ordinary things like compiling code
  should always be done as a regular user.  Learn to use and understand Unix ownership/permissions rules, so you don't end up in silly
  situations like this again.

I got built a .xise roject and .bin file.

However, I am not sure if I point properly to the floating license on the uni's server, but since it built, I guess it is ok.

HOWEVER, when testing this, by building the same fpga image which is downloaded to usr/local/share/uhd/images/ by the Marcus's build-gnuradio-script,
I FIND THAT THE TWO FPGA IMAGES ARE DIFFERENT.

WHAT CAN BE THE REASONS THAT TWO FPGA IMAGES ARE DIFFERENT IF ONE IS USING THE SAME MAKEFILE?

Different versions of the toolchain?  Also, do the Xilinx tools do any random stuff--I'm not an expert in FPGA LUT generation, but I understand
  that sometimes, when there are two equally-good "choices" to be made in generating the LUTs, the toolchain simply picks randomly from
  among the choices.  I have no idea if this is the case here.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator