Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 17:29:31 -0400

On May 9, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Ben Reynwar wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you only have to release the source to people who you
> are giving/selling the software too, and only if they ask for it.  So
> if you're developing the software for one customer there is no issue
> at all.  If you have more than one customer, then the customers all
> need to trust one another not to release the source publicly (maybe
> possible in some cases?).  There is no obligation to make the source
> public.

I think your interpretation is generally correct, but probably not complete
either.

Also: GNU Radio is under GPLv3, so there are other restrictive clauses -- e.g.,
regarding patentability of the licensed & any derived code.  GPLv2 doesn't have
these additional restrictions, which IIRC is why Linux is still under it
instead of v3.

While discussing GNU Radio's license is interesting and important, there's
nothing we can do about it for GNU Radio: as Matt & I have written, that's up
to the FSF.  There are plenty of other arenas where we can do something.  So,
we need to be directing our comments in other places -- such as ways to "make
GNU Radio better" as Philip started. - MLD