Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Colby Boyer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 14:08:52 -0700

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
> On May 9, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
>> Gnu Radio, to me, is a DSP engine that happens to live on a general-purpose
>> compute platform.
>
> True.  But the GNU Radio model is build on data-flow, while the Octave model
> is not -- and, that might be a key difference.  People have grown, for better
> or worse, used to using the MATLAB / Octave script processing model -- which
> is buffer based instead of block based.  I don't see a need to change GNU
> Radio's model -- but rather to note that it is different from MATLAB / Octave
> & thus new(er) users need to think differently about how to write GNU Radio
> scripts.  I doubt this difference in models makes any difference in adoption,
> but maybe it does? - MLD

I think it is important to point out, is that *most* baseband
processor design seems to follow a buffer-esque* based model for
implementation in silicon. A lot of wireless standards switch
modulation and coding midway through frames. Look at 802.11, GPP
Release XX, etc as examples. You need a sample buffer to jump to and
from in, to correctly decode a frame/packet/burst/etc. I don't always
find this easy with the GNURadio framework, or maybe I am doing it
wrong.

*I say buffer-esque because once the buffers have been carved out, a
specific will go down a specific demodulation chain, i.e. CCK
modulation or DQPSK.