Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 16:49:34 -0400

On May 9, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> Gnu Radio, to me, is a DSP engine that happens to live on a general-purpose
> compute platform.

True.  But the GNU Radio model is build on data-flow, while the Octave model is
not -- and, that might be a key difference.  People have grown, for better or
worse, used to using the MATLAB / Octave script processing model -- which is
buffer based instead of block based.  I don't see a need to change GNU Radio's
model -- but rather to note that it is different from MATLAB / Octave & thus
new(er) users need to think differently about how to write GNU Radio scripts.
I doubt this difference in models makes any difference in adoption, but maybe
it does? - MLD