Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Andrew Lentvorski
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:59:42 -0700

On 5/9/11 9:08 AM, Philip Balister wrote:
I don't see any point trying to appease the free software is anti IP
crowd. They will just invent new excuses. It is our job to help these
people understand how things really work.

I agree, so let's start at home.

No embedded engineer who values his job will touch a GPL piece of code with a 10 foot pole. Period.

A good embedded engineer will use Linux only under duress. And that will be the only GPL code he will use.

Anyway, the largest generator of dollars in the free software world is
the Linux kernel, and that is GPL. So economics suggest GPL is the way
to go.

Please note that the Linux kernel explicitly restricts you to GPLv2 *ONLY* because they don't like some of the sharing requirements of GPLv3.

You might want to try to convince the Linux folks to move to GPLv3 before preaching the GPL sharing gospel to others. Mysteriously, they don't seem particularly enlightened about it.

It is, after all, easier to preach to the converted, right?

Oh, don't mind the laughter.  We're laughing *with* you.

-a