Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 12:08:11 -0400

On 05/09/2011 11:57 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:
Intellectual Property: Many people / companies view the GPL as being
incompatible with IP -- and, whether true or not, this perception is certainly
an issue.  To make progress here, maybe GNU Radio could take Ettus' UHD
dual-license approach, if that is still possible?  I don't know if the FSF (the
copyright owner) would allow such a change; further, even with that change, I
think a separate company would need to be setup to deal with the non-GPL
license.  I think having a less-restrictive license than the GPL would
encourage adoption of GNU Radio in places where IP is an issue. - MLD

I don't see any point trying to appease the free software is anti IP crowd. They will just invent new excuses. It is our job to help these people understand how things really work.

I'm also less inclined to contribute to projects using BSD style licenses since I see no benefit to me, to contribute to a project that can be used for profit by people who do not plan to share the code with their customers.

Anyway, the largest generator of dollars in the free software world is the Linux kernel, and that is GPL. So economics suggest GPL is the way to go.

Philip