consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:51:55 +0100

On 3 January 2013 17:09, hellekin (GNU Consensus) <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/03/2013 08:44 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

>     I stopped caring about Tent.io when I realised they were working
>     _against_ established standards and methods

*** Mikael, I hope this misunderstanding can be cleared when the Tent
people join the conversation. As far as I can tell, they thought the
lack of privacy in OStatus' scope was enough of a reason to take another
approach. I can't blame them for that choice. There are other
occurrences of "forks" that were beneficial to the community: look at
how Merb created a better Rails, by focusing on different features, that
ended up being integrated into the core of Ruby on Rails in the next
major version.

> record of building same origin social networking sites

*** Indeed Melvin, but that is not comparable: building a single Web
site is a simple thing to do. Making it work seamlessly with others is
another story.

If we look at OAuth, the specification sounds great, but the
implementation disastrous: why would I give a third-party write access
to my profile if it only needs to access a feature (my status updates)
to read it! That entirely nullifies the intent of the specification.
That should be addressed as a blocker bug, because privacy is more
important than convenience.

Next iterations of OAuth will certainly address that mistake, but it
prompts the question of the importance of ethics in programming:
unintended consequences can be terrible in that context.

Sure OAuth is not ideal, in fact the main author left and called it a fail.  Personally as far as web 2.0 tech goes I think it's not bad, and has a role.   There are many ways to do authentication.  But you start first with identification.

> There have been instances of social web sites ineroperating with XMPP too.

*** I started a list of potential partners on the wiki: it indeed
contains XMPP-based projects. It needs some love: some categories,
templates, etc. Please reply to that point by mentioning [wiki] in the
Subject.

> try and operate from a perspective of tolerance, and see what
> you can learn from other projects.

*** Although I agree with your idea, I would recommend against using the
word "tolerance". Historically, a "tolerance" was a permission granted
by the religious authority to allow infidels to access Church-controlled
areas, for e.g., trading. Therefore, unlike the common understanding of
that word today, it proceeds from a dominant perspective that is far
from our purpose of integrity and transclusion, and from your idea.

Appreciate your point of view but I am not using the religious connotation, but rather, tolerance is one of the axioms of the web:

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html

Perhaps you would be more comfortable with the term 'respect'.  That each project or tech should show respect for the view points of others.

>Indeed we have lost valuable partners, such as friendica from this.

*** Who is "we"? I listed Friendica as a stakeholder, and a potential
partner on the wiki. In the next weeks, I will contact all projects
individually if they don't come by themselves. A consensus needs all
parties to emerge.

FSW community group.  It's great if you are able to bring MIke or any of the others back to the conversation.  I'm a big fan.

> if you can take time to look at things from the perspectives of other
> projects, you may gain a gain a great deal.  Working together we can do
> more.

*** +1

Time is a rare resource, making tools that can save time and enable
understanding of complex issues, to raise the bar above "us" and "them",
is a critical part of reaching a consensus.

+1

There are mailing lists for many project specific works all over.  I joined this list in the hope that we could foster a spirit of interop, that has failed to happen in other groups.  It's not about portraying one technology as the 'best', it's about working together to achieve meaningful milestones.

==
hk