consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of Activ ityStreams?

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of Activ ityStreams?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 04:21:51 +0100

02.01.2013 21:32 skrev hellekin (GNU Consensus):
On 01/02/2013 04:48 PM, Rob Myers wrote:

Coding for N different protocols on N different servers is not a better
use of time than just building support for the leading protocol.

*** I agree that OStatus has a hand in the game, and it's mentioned in
the GNU/consensus manifesto as the main protocol to follow. But I
disagree that the leadership position is enough to ignore other
alternatives.

I'll just break this out and continue it here on the Consensus list. Original thread archived at: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/social/2013-01/msg00000.html

Tent.io, to mention only one, seems promising. OStatus itself is a set
of protocols to solve a number of issues, and could as well integrate
new ones.

I'm somewhat curious about Tent.io. Given that it's an API and not a protocol as well as tightly tied to HTTP. How does it intend to interoperate with XMPP etc? I haven't read anything about such ideas at all when it comes to Tent, but then again I stopped caring about Tent.io when I realised they were working _against_ established standards and methods (i.e. mapping their own kind of activitystreams or whatever).

For example smacking some kind of arbitrary HTTP-like layer on top of XMPP is likely to be bulky and brutal (I care about all the efforts on social networking with XMPP as base). In these cases a lot of work would have to go into standardising the behaviour and thus reinventing a wheel or two.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
http://blog.mmn-o.se/