consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:44:17 +0100

On 3 January 2013 04:21, Mikael Nordfeldth <address@hidden> wrote:
02.01.2013 21:32 skrev hellekin (GNU Consensus):

On 01/02/2013 04:48 PM, Rob Myers wrote:

Coding for N different protocols on N different servers is not a better
use of time than just building support for the leading protocol.

*** I agree that OStatus has a hand in the game, and it's mentioned in
the GNU/consensus manifesto as the main protocol to follow. But I
disagree that the leadership position is enough to ignore other
alternatives.

I'll just break this out and continue it here on the Consensus list. Original thread archived at: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/social/2013-01/msg00000.html

Tent.io, to mention only one, seems promising. OStatus itself is a set
of protocols to solve a number of issues, and could as well integrate
new ones.

I'm somewhat curious about Tent.io. Given that it's an API and not a protocol as well as tightly tied to HTTP. How does it intend to interoperate with XMPP etc? I haven't read anything about such ideas at all when it comes to Tent, but then again I stopped caring about Tent.io when I realised they were working _against_ established standards and methods (i.e. mapping their own kind of activitystreams or whatever).

I appreciate your world view, and I understand that you hold your convictions strongly.

tent is a well regarded and popular initiative, and it needs no defence.  However, I will comment that http has a reasonable track record of building same origin social networking sites, such as friendster, myspace, facebook and google plus.  To take that approach to cross origin federation is at least reasonable, and at best logical.  There have been instances of social web sites ineroperating with XMPP too.

In this particular forum I think it would be more appropriate not to belittle projects that you feel, do not think the same as you, but rather, try and operate from a perspective of tolerance, and see what you can learn from other projects.  We have had major problems in the past with people taking the "my way or the high way" approach.  Indeed we have lost valuable partners, such as friendica from this.   I think if you can take time to look at things from the perspectives of other projects, you may gain a gain a great deal.  Working together we can do more.

For example smacking some kind of arbitrary HTTP-like layer on top of XMPP is likely to be bulky and brutal (I care about all the efforts on social networking with XMPP as base). In these cases a lot of work would have to go into standardising the behaviour and thus reinventing a wheel or two.