Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude err or on Android

From: Anton Smirnov
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude err or on Android
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:39:35 +0600

2013/6/11 Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden>

> As Anton Smirnov wrote:
>
> > /dev/bus/usb devices cannot be used directly for STK500v2.
> >
> > All this relates to Android. I'm not using file path (see above), but
> file
> > descriptor passed from android app.
>
> But how is that file descriptor obtained, i.e. which pathname has
> been provided to open() initially?

No, file descriptor is returned from android app for native code specially
and open() is not invoked at all.
Please read the whole email chain to get detailed information.

> You write about libusb: no, sorry, that's not the way to go for
> STK500v2.  It *requires* a plain old serial port, be it physical
> (RS-232), or virtual (emulated by a driver).  Just opening an USB
> device simply doesn't work.  (It would work for other programmer
> types, like JTAGICEmkII, AVRISPmkII etc.)

Okay, i catched that. But i'd like to try if it works for stk500v1 at least,
as most arduino boards are uno r3 IMHO.

> Only the underlying driver knows how to e.g. talk to the serial
> emulation device at the other end of the USB in order to adjust
> baudrates, control signals etc.

Okay, so now the question is what is this file descriptor and how can it be
used
in native code. Even Android seems to be not documented enough..