Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:14:22 +0200

As Anton Smirnov wrote:

> Okay, since i'm completely in stuck with it i have to try just
> comment/remove isatty() check.

That's simple enough.  Let's hope the remainder does work.

> Do you think i have to just pass file descriptor as int and just
> skip using socket?

You could give it a try.  Just fprintf() the file descriptor number
to stderr when using your socket method.  If it's the same anyway,
try skipping the socket.

If this is indeed useful to people, we could perhaps special-case
something for that in AVRDUDE itself, just as we special-case
filenames that start with "usb:" right now.  So, say we prefix
them "fdesc:<NUMBER>", where <NUMBER> refers to an open file
descriptor that has been inherited from a parent process, then
AVRDUDE bypasses the fopen(), and just proceeds to use the
descriptor.

Of course, it would be even better to use the libavrdude backend in
future, but I think there's a bit of work ahead until that's really
useful.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/