Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude err or on Android

From: Anton Smirnov
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude err or on Android
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:49:14 +0600

2013/6/10 Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden>

> As Anton Smirnov wrote:
>
> > is there any work around for it (without rooting)?
>
> Frankly: I don't know.

Can you say what is required (compile params, flags, etc..) exactly?
I think i will have to ask for it from android engineers or smth.

> Depending on your Arduino platform, setting the baudrate might be
> required or not.  If it's not required (e.g. since the STK500v2
> protocol is handled by a controller directly attached to USB, I've
> seen an ATmega16U2 on some boards), and that is your only ioctl that
> fails, you might try commenting it out.

yes, you're right. But in common case special baud rate should be set.

> > In my case file descriptor is also int value which originally received in
> > android app (java vm) using UsbDeviceConnection.getFIleDescriptor() which
> > is written to return file descriptor for native code specially.
> > then i pass it to avrdude and since it's child process and file
> descriptors
> > are process-related i have to use unix socket.
>
> Ouch. :-)
>
> Btw., there's no real need to pass the descriptor along a socket, you
> could as well pass it through a commandline option and just bypass the
> open().

Not sure that's true. AFAIK file descriptor is process-related and it means
nothing in context of another process - see
here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16939607/how-to-pass-file-descriptor-from-usbdeviceconnection-to-native-code-on-android>
and
here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16963237/passing-usb-file-descriptor-to-android-ndk-program>
.