Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:00:27 +0200

As Anton Smirnov wrote:

> This relates to Arduino boards and they have bootloader which talks over
> USB using stk500v1/v2 and uploads firmware itself.

OK, they indeed use a serial device emulation.

If you get an ENOTTY on setting the baudrate, it would mean your
driver (the part of the operating system that provides the virtual
serial port device) is broken/incomplete.

> > > I'm getting file descriptor for usb device on android, grant
> > > permissions and pass usb device file descriptor to avrdude process
> > > and getting "Now a typewriter" error in ser_posix while trying to
> > > set baud rate.

What I don't understand: a "file descriptor" is a small integer
number, as returned by the open() syscall.  You cannot really pass
such a file descriptor to AVRDUDE since AVRDUDE must obtain one
itself.

So, what's your actual commandline you call AVRDUDE with?

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/