Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude documentation

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude documentation
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:52:03 -0700

On 26 Feb 2003 at 15:43, Brian Dean wrote:

> Actually, my preference would be LaTeX - article format, then convert
> the result to PDF using dvipdf.  This is what I do for my M128 manual
> which you can take a look at, for example, here:
>
>  http://www.bdmicro.com/m128b.pdf

Nice!

I checked, I've got dvipdf with cygwin.

> While it's easy to go from LaTeX -> DVI -> PDF, I'm not sure if there
> is a decent route to produce HTML from the LaTeX source.  But, is that
> really important?  I think it would be sufficient to provide a PDF
> manual to distribute with the code.  It's also easily viewable from
> the web since most browsers are pre-configured to run a PDF viewer for
> .pdf file types.

Since I will be trying to get this out in an early March release, PDF
only is just fine by me. You're right, in that it is common on
Windows and PDF readers are available on the web for free. Besides,
the target audience will be engineers (and proto-engineers :-) and
they will more than likely have PDF readers.

> What do you guys think?  Source in LaTeX, but distribute PDF?  This
> would be my preference.  I'll also volunteer to make the first version
> of a manual, describing all the options, and configuration file, and
> also do the required mark-up for the host-specific sections for
> FreeBSD/Linux/Windows.  I'd need at least plain text for anything
> specific to Linux/Windows, but I'd provide the markup to integrate it
> into the LaTeX source.

Go for it!

Eric