Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude documentation (was: Re: avrdude + Windows)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude documentation (was: Re: avrdude + Windows)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:27:35 +0100

As Brian Dean wrote:

> I was going to suggest docbook since I'm at least familiar with
> markup, etc.  Is that how the texinfo system works?  Is it TeX based?

I think it used to be TeX based, but is usually converted without
actually calling TeX these days.  Its syntax somewhat resembles a
TeX-like syntax (but that's already about all i know :).

But i think i could live with it as well as with docbook (or XML,
which is effectively only a mini-SGML).

> I'd still like to keep the man page around, though, since everyone
> expects a man page to be present on a Unix system.

Of course, it should stay, but should IMHO concentrate to be the
quick reference.  IMHO, it's OK if you have to read the advanced
docs in order to know how to specify a new programmer or a new AVR
chip in the config file, or to learn which parallel port pin goes
to which ISP pin, whereas the man page describes the actual program
usage.