Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.

From: edSteve
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:22:40 -0700

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 20:12:39 Preston Wilson wrote:

> If the problem goes away when you ifdef out all of the code, add in
> sections of code a small bit at a time to narrow down where the problem is
> happening.

Here's what I learned using this approach. I had a header file named "con.h".
Windows was interpreting the file name as the console device (CON:). This was
also true for a file named "con.c". So, when the compiler attempted to
read "con.h" Windows was redirecting input from the console (CON:). Entering
an Windows EOF (^Z) followed by the enter key from the keyboard would
terminate the file and the compiler would finish spitting the appropriate
errors because of the empty file from the console.

I renamed the files to include an underscore (i.e. con.h became con_.h) and
the build ran fine. This is true for both the cygwin shell and a normal
command window.

(insert Windows complaints here)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve