Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.

From: edSteve
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:35:29 -0700

> Hi Steve,
>
> If your customer needs WinAVR, then why are you spending your time trying
> to compile it under Cygwin? WinAVR is compiled under MinGW/MSYS, and is
> already prebuilt for you. I just did a new Release Candidate that you can
> get on the WinAVR site on SourceForge. Also, WinAVR is always patched with
> the latest device support, bug fixes, etc.
>
> Eric Weddington

Hi Eric,

 I'm sorry, I'm a bit ignorant about AVR development on Windows. I'm most
comfortable in a Linux environment but because my customer is a Windows
house and needs to be able to build at their location I have a need to set
them up with a build that requires just a single command to update from the
repository (subversion), build the hex file and generate latest documentation
(doxygen). Also, there are tools designed to run on the host and interact
with the AVR target via the serial port that are built using gcc in the
cygwin environment at the same time (the AVR and host side components have
common header files).

I need to use other tools that cygwin provides but not included in WinAVR
(e.g. subversion, doxygen,  ...) and invoke them from a single make. I was
attracted to WinAVR because of your frequent efforts to keep it up to date
and I didn't find anything pre-built for cygwin. I seem to have created a
dilemma for myself.

btw: I'm not familiar with the MinGW/MSYS environment you mentioned. I checked
in cygwin and found that the mingw runtime library is installed. Is that the
same thing?

Steve

--
---------