Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.

From: Preston Wilson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc hangs on XP.
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 23:12:39 -0400

What version of avr-gcc/WinAVR are you using?

What version of Cygwin are you running? ($ uname -a)

Are you compiling to and from a local file system or are you building over a
networked file system (SMB, NFS, AFS, ...)? If you are building over a
networked file system, have you tried compiling with everything on a local
file system?

Is the file you are compiling open in another program?

Is the problem with a specific file or all files that you try to compile?

What is the command line used to compile the file(s) when the hang happens?

If you using the -M option(s) to generate dependencies, have you tried
compiling without -M and its friends?

Have you tried to compile the file from the command line (outside of make)?

Have you tried compiling an empty file?
(Or ifdef out all of the code in the file where the hang happens.)

Create an empty file (contains a single new line) xxx.c and run

$ avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega16 -Os -Wall -o xxx.o xxx.c

$ ls -l xxx.o
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pwilson None 657 May 16 22:51 xxx.o

$ od -c xxx.c
0000000  \n
0000001

If the problem goes away when you ifdef out all of the code, add in sections
of code a small bit at a time to narrow down where the problem is happening.

-Preston