Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: 06 Mar 2002 16:12:51 +0100

> If you look at the doors I made for the cellar, they are not even 30px high,
> but you don't notice that the character is taller than the door. So the
> characters could be slightly larger than the scenery without anyone noticing.

Very slightly, only a few people would notice, right. But on 0.3, with
the cellar doors, if you look very carefully, you can see that the 2
highest lines of the head of the character does clip with the door's top
;) And with the new map engine, this will be even more true. Characters
will be in front of an object, and the frame later, they'll be behind.
If the character is more than 4 pixels taller than the door, the
clipping effect will be visible (just as if the character knocks his
head on the door) So my advice would be to be very carefull with
dimensions, as it won't forgive any error.

> As everybody seems to agree, the numbers we come up with should be
> guidelines, nothing else. So I would say an average character would be about
> two tiles tall, ±5px. The rest we should leave to the artists :).

Right. We worked quite hard to make generic engines so artists aren't
prisoneered into restrictions - that's not to impose new
technical-independant restrictions! :)

Don't get me wrong anyway - I can live with the character the way Ben's
submitted it. It's just that, it looks a bit too big, which would
influence the architecture (which should be well-dimensionned regarding
the characters) and possibly limit the visible area for the player...
And I really don't feel like switching to 800x600, guys! ;)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org